1st Hampshires at Ploegsteert Wood

As 1915 began the 1st Battalion of the Hampshire Regiment found themselves occupying the same trenches running, 400 yards north of Legheer, turning right and ending in a t-piece. A very wet communications trench ran back to Plogsteert Wood, which was defenced by the Rifle Brigade. The weather was wet right up to the end of January, and given the very high water table in Flanders, flooding must have been a serious concern. However conditions in the trenches steadily improved with more pumps and better revetting. The houses behind the trenches were also strengthened.

Towards the end of the month the Germans began shelling the wood more regularly, with howitzers and field guns. Apparently one of the guns in particular was nicknamed ‘Little Willie’. Despite the shelling losses for January 1915 were very low – only 6 men killed, 7 wounded, and 1 officers and 50 other ranks admitted to hospital. As there was little fighting, these casualties were almost certainly down to illness.

February 1915 carried on in very much the same vein. There was again little activity, apart from enemy shelling. Much work was made in improving defences. It was a quirk of the western front that usually the opposing troops knew each other – in February 1915 the Hampshires were still facing a Saxon Infantry Regiment. For several days a Colonel of the Royal Munster Fusiliers was attached to gain experience. Between the 4th and 8th two companies of the Sherwood Foresters were attached, and between the 21st and 27th two companies of the 7th Canadians. February losses were light; Captain Knocker and 2 men were killed, and 16 men wounded. 2 officers and 114 men were admitted to hospital. During the month the Battalion received 4 Lieutenants and 80 other ranks as reinforcements.

March 1915 witnessed a change in routine. As trench warfare settled down into monotony, it was recognised that units could not be kept in the front line permanently. The 11th Brigade reflected wider Army policy by implementing a Battalion relief scheme. Each Battalion in the Brigade spent 6 days in the front line, then 6 days in support, and then 6 days in reserve. The support Battalion remained close by near Ploegsteert Wood. The Brigade’s front line extended from the road junction south of Legheer to German House. March saw even less activity; both sniping and shelling decreased. However the Hampshires were occasionally bombarded with rifle grenades. 3 men were killed, and 1 officer and 11 other ranks wounded. 1 Lieutenant and 94 men were sent to hospital, and 118 reinforcements were received throughout the month.

April began much the same as the previous few months. The war diary gives us a feeling for how the new relief system was implemented. 1 to 5 April were spent in trenches at Ploegsteert Wood, then after being relieved by the East Lancs the Hampshires marched to rest billets at Nieppe. After 6 days rest the Battalion returned to the Ploegsteert Wood trenches. They were relieved again on 15 April by the 4th Royal Berkshires. Interestingly, the adjutant noted very clearly that the 4th Berkshires were a territorial battalion. After spending 8 days in rest billets at Noote Boom, near Bailleul, on 23 April the Battalion received warning to be ready to move at short notice.

The 1st Hampshires were about to be sent to plug the gap at the Second Battle of Ypres. But the Hampshire’s time in Ploegsteert Wood left a lasting legacy – one of the farms in the wood became known as Hants Farm.


Leave a comment

Filed under Army, World War One

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s