1st Hampshires: Le Cateau to the Marne

After Le Cateau, the 1st Battalion of the Hampshire Regiment continued retreating on 27 August 1914, cross country through Serain, Beaurevoil, and Esterres to Bellicourt, before halting at 9am for breakfast. At 9.30am the rearguard reported that German cyclist troops were only 2 miles away. At 9.45am the village was shelled, and the Brigade moved on. In the confusion the companies became split up. There was heavy rain throughout the day, but Private Pattenden tells us that he stopped for tea and rum from 8 to 10.30. By 7am on the 28th the Battalion had reached Voyennes. The CO Colonel Jackson and five other ranks had been wounded. Jackson had been shot in the left leg, and Lance Corporal Jones carried him into the Cure’s house in Bellicourt.

The retreat continued relatively unhindered, described by Private Pattenden as ‘towards Paris, reasons unknown’. By 31 August the Battalion had reached the forest of Compiegne, when Aerial Recconaisance reported that a German column of divisional strength was approaching the forest. 11th Brigade were positioned in the forest to cover St. Sauveur, with the Hampshires on the line of Carrefour-Des Princess-Carrefour St. John. The position was held throughout the night, unmolested apart from several Uhlan Cavalry patrols.

The next day the Brigade was ordered to retire towards Vaucelles. The Hampshires were now under the command of Captain the Hon. L.C. Palk, Colonel Jackson, Major Hicks and Major Barlow all having been wounded. However a new Medical Officer joined on 3 September. The retreat continued in a similar manner, until 4 September when the Battalion were ordered to take up positions Couporay to cover crossings over the River Marne. At 11pm that evening reports were received that the Germans had pushed forward and were crossing the Marne at Esbly. The Brigade was ordered to move to oppose them. Half an hour later the report was found to be false.

By 2pm on 5 September the Battalion had reached Graitz, where the retreat finished. The Battalions first draft of reinforcements since they had landed in France arrived – Captain R.D. Johnson with 52 men. These reinforcements made good the losses at Le Cateau.

On 6 September information was received that the Germans were now retiring. The Battalion advanced to Villeneau-le-Conte. By nightfall on 7 September they had reached Montdenis-Vie Crecy. Here Private Pattenden was given a slice of bread by a villager, ‘perhaps the last she had. It was very welcome and quit a change from bisuits’. Also on 7 September Captain Moore took command of the Battalion, after Captain Park reported sick with fever. The advance continued on the 8th, where the Battalion bivouaced for night at Les Corbieres. At this point the Hampshires were in reserve, but poised to go into action at an instant.

The Battle of the Marne had commenced on 7 September. On 9 September 11th Brigade’s part in the Battle began. The Hampshires took up position on high ground at Chateau Veuteil, to cover the 1st Battalion of the Rifle Brigade as they advanced towards the river. British Guns shelled the Germans on the north side of the bank, but well-placed German Machine guns prevented the Royal Engineers from bridging the river until dusk. The Brigade began to cross in small boats in order to cover the bridgehead, the Hampshires began crossing at 9pm and were all across by 2am. 2 men were accidentally drowned during the crossing,one of them 27 year old Private James Finch from Romsey. Also on 9 September a second draft of reinforcements arrived, Lieutenant Sandeman bringing 137 men. During the Battle Private Pattenden was with the Battalion transport, having trouble with his feet. Apparently his ability to speak French was very useful to his comrades, even the officers.

At 2am on 10 September the Hampshires began advancing, along with a Battalion of the East Lancashire Regiment, encountering little opposition an occupying an important road junction north of La Ferte. At 9am the Battalion transport, including Private Pattenden, passed over the Pontoon Bridge. During the 10th the Germans began a general retreat, and the Brigade continued advancing, finding many German dead and wounded.

The retreat from Mons, via Le Cateau, was one of the most succesful in the British Army’s history. The war diary’s stories of retreating, occasionally holding the line against the German advance guard, giving them a bloody nose then moving on, has strong echoes of the retreat to Corruna in 1809. That the Germans allowed the Allie to retreat in good order and stand at the Marne suggets why the Schlieffen plan did not work – it was not carried out with the decisiveness that it needed.



Filed under Army, World War One

3 responses to “1st Hampshires: Le Cateau to the Marne

  1. Great blog, very interesting articles. I love your attention on the ordinary soldier.

    I am currently researching my grandfather’s time with the 1st Hampshire from September 1914 to June 1915. I recently obtained copies of 6 photos he had taken in the trenches (I believe in Le Gheer / Ploegsteert Wood). I am trying to identify the soldiers in the photo. Presumably the other men in my grandfather’s platoon. I have started a blog to collate all my research and maybe someone might read it who recognises one of the soldiers or who may have a new lead.

    You can see photos here: http://gillww1.wordpress.com/2012/03/25/more-photos-of-the-hampshire-regiment-in-the-trenches-1915/

    David Gill

  2. Richard Goodall

    Hi I am also trying to put together information on My Grandfather James Goodall Private 7165 Hampshire Regiment he went over on 22/23 Aug 14 stayed with the regiment until he was wounded in action at Ploegstreet Wood
    taken to Le Gheer aid station before returning to Blighty to Edinburgh for RnR was discharge in May 1915 unfit for war service he was also stationed at Fort Gomer until discharge

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s